Supremes and Exceptionalism
Be sure to keep an eye on http://www.scotusblog.com/ for some major decisions today. Three blockbusters will be decided before they recess. Days will be added as necessary to decide the highest profile cases:
- -Gay Marriage
- -Affirmative action
- -Voting rights
‘We are tired of living in a nation governed by fear’. For once, on this issue, the ACLU is absolutely right. The Bill of Rights and our Constitution demands Snowden gets his day in court to defend himself. Whether anyone likes it or not, believes he is guilty of ‘treason’ or ‘espionage’, as a US citizen the Bill of Rights belongs to him as much as anyone else. This is why we are an ‘exceptional’ country. When we are willing to suspend those rights we lose, each and every one of us.
“We stand opposed to any attempt to treat Edward Snowden as a traitor,” the ACLU writes. “Snowden is innocent until proven guilty before a court of law and he must be afforded all of his rights as an American citizen. If he is brought to an American court, he must be afforded every opportunity to defend himself and convince a judge that what he did was justifiable and patriotic, even if he is charged with violating laws that themselves pose a threat to our democracy.”
IRS losing more integrity…. no one noticed this?
Here is the story: The IRS mailed 23,994 refund checks to the same address in Atlanta.
The story gets better, if that’s possible: The IRS sent 11,284 refunds to a 2nd address…..3,608 to a 3rd and 2,386 to a fourth address. All of the checks were refunds for illegal aliens.
Self indulgent?…..you betcha!
The dilemma for Obama is that today’s economically struggling Americans may not be as forgiving when their president incurs big costs for trips that include not only official business but also touristy junkets. Members of Congress and conservative commentators have already made these points, including Rep. George Holding (R-N.C.).
The main problem will be that if Obama looks self indulgent, he will lose credibility as a president who says he is in tune with Middle America.
Since MO and the girls have already done their ‘safari’ thing they should just stay home. Then they would be “in tune” with Middle America.
- ACLU Sues Obama Administration Over NSA ‘Dragnet’ Surveillance Revealed in Historic Leaks (commondreams.org)
- ACLU | President Obama: Guarantee Due Process For Edward Snowden (tallahasseeo.com)
- Supreme Court has Major Issues to Rule On in Final Sessions Before Vacation (blackchristiannews.com)
- Posted in: Barack Obama ♦ illegal immigration ♦ Internal Revenue Service ♦ Media ♦ Michelle Obama ♦ Politics ♦ Random ♦ State Dept ♦ Taxes
- Tagged: ACLU, Affirmative action, American Civil Liberties Union, Atlanta, Barack Obama, Internal Revenue Service, Michelle Obama, Obama administration, Same-sex marriage, Suffrage, Supreme Court of the United States, United States, White House